Yair Amichai-Hamburger received his Ph.D. from Oxford University. He is the director of the Research Center for Internet Psychology (CIP), based at the Sammy Ofer School of Communications at the Interdisciplinary Center (IDC) in Herzliya, Israel. He has worked for many years as an industrial consultant, advising many leading organizations. He has written widely on the impact of the Internet on well-being. His first book, The Social Net: Human Behavior in Cyberspace, was published by Oxford University Press 2005 and his second book, Technology and Psychological Well-being, by Cambridge University. His third book The Social Net: Understanding Our Online Behavior was published by Oxford University Press 2013. His last book Internet Psychology: The basics was published by Routledge 2017
A link to the new book
Dr. Amichai-Hamburger's awards include the following:
--AME (Academy of Management): Award as finalist for best paper entitled "The Power of Emotional Appeals in Promoting Organizational Change Programs" (with S. Fox)
--LIRT (Library Instruction Round Table, American Library Association): Award for the paper "Experiments in Digital Literacy" (with Y. Eshet-Alkali)
- Applied Social Psychology
- Emotion, Mood, Affect
- Intergroup Relations
- Internet and Virtual Psychology
- Interpersonal Processes
- Organizational Behavior
- Personality, Individual Differences
- Persuasion, Social Influence
- Social Cognition
Note from the Network: The holder of this profile has certified having all necessary rights, licenses, and authorization to post the files listed below. Visitors are welcome to copy or use any files for noncommercial or journalistic purposes provided they credit the profile holder and cite this page as the source.
- Amichai-Hamburger, Y. (Ed.). (2013). The social net: Human behavior in Cyberspace. Second Updated version. New York: Oxford University Press.
- Amichai-Hamburger, Y. (Ed.). (2005). The social net: Human behavior in Cyberspace. New York: Oxford University Press.
- Amichai-Hamburger, Y. (Ed.). (2009). Technology and Well-being. Cambridge University Press.
- Amichai-Hamburger, Y. (2009). E-learning: Is technology the lighthouse? Policy Futures in Education, 7, 601-606.
- Amichai-Hamburger, Y. & Hayat, Z. (2011). The impact of the Internet on the social lives of users: A representative sample from 13 countries. Computers in Human Behavior, 27, 585-589
- Amichai-Hamburger, Y., Kingsbury, M., & Schneider, B. H. (2013), Friendship: An Old concept with a New Meaning? Computers in Human Behavior, 29, 33-39.
- Amichai-Hamburger, Y. & Perez, O. (2009). Environmental self-Management: Effectiveness, organizational change, and lessons for the environmental regulation system, BIU Law Review. 25, 633-701
- Amichai-Hamburger, Y. & Vinitzky, G. (2010). Social network use and personality. Computers in Human Behavior. 26, 1289-1295
- Fiorenzo Laghi, F., Schneider, B. H., Vitoroulis, I., Coplan, R. J., Baiocco, R., Amichai-Hamburger, Y., Hudek, N., Koszycki, D., Miller, S., & Flament, M. (2013). Knowing When Not to Use the Internet: Shyness and Adolescents’ On-Line and Off-Line Interactions with Friends. Computer in Human Behavior; 29, 51-57.
- Kurtz, G., Amichai-Hamburger, Y. & Kantor, J. (2009). Psychological well-being of Israeli students and attitudes toward Open and Distance Learning (ODL). The International Review of Research in Open and Distance Learning, 10, 1-11.
- Perez, O., Amichai-Hamburger, Y.& Shterental, T. (2009). The Dynamic of Corporate Self-Regulation: ISO 14001, Environmental Commitment and Organizational Citizenship Behavior Law and Society Review, 43, 593-630.
- Schneider, B., Baiocco, R., Amichai-Hamburger, Y., Coplan, R. & Koszycki, D. (2011). Daily patterns of communication and contact between Italian early adolescents and their friends. Cyberpsychology and Behavior, 14, 467-471.
- Walters, J., DeAndrea, D.., Tom Tong, S., Carr, C. T., Spottswood, E. & Amichai-Hamburger, Y. (2011). The effect of feedback in identity shift in computer-mediated-communication. Media Psychology, 14, 1-26
- Amichai-Hamburger, Y. (2012). Reducing intergroup conflict in the digital age. In H, Giles (Ed.), The Handbook of Intergroup Communication (pp. 181-193). New York: Routledge
- Amichai-Hamburger, Y. (2009). Technology and Well-being: Designing the Future. In Y. Amichai-Hamburger (Ed.) Technology and Well-being. (pp 260-278) Cambridge University Press.
- Amichai-Hamburger, Y. & Barak, A. (2009). Internet and well-being. In Y. Amichai-Hamburger (Ed.) Technology and Well-being. (pp 34-76) Cambridge University Press.
- Amichai-Hamburger, Y. & Hayat, Z. (2013). Personality and the Internet. In Y. Amichai-Hamburger (Ed.), The social net: understanding our online behavior (pp. 1-20). New York: Oxford University Press.
- Harwood, J., Hewstone, M., Amichai-Hamburger, Y. & Tausch, N. (2013). Online intergroup contact. In C. T. Salmon (Ed.) The Communication Year Book 36 (pp. 55-102). New York: Routledge
- Hasler, B. S. & Amichai-Hamburger, Y. (2013) Online Intergroup Contact. In Y. Amichai-Hamburger (Ed.), The social net: understanding our online behavior (220-252). New York: Oxford University Press.
- Hayat, Z & Amichai-Hamburger, Y. (2012) Internet usage and the well being of Children and Teenagers. In A Costabile and B. Spears (Eds.), The Impact of Technology on Relationships in Educational Settings (pp.102-116). New York: Routledge
Sammy Ofer School of Communications
Interdisciplinary Center (IDC)
- Phone: +972 9 9527649
- Fax: +972 9 9527650